1. Exercise. I used to wake up at 6am. This is what my basement looked like on an early morning back in November. Good news here: it's starting to get light outside, earlier in the day. That means winter is almost done!!! The main thing I want to point out is the lightbox. It's right in front of the elliptical, so I can read a book while all that bright light is pointing at my face. It doesn't make me tan, but somehow it helps my brain. Endorphins from exercise + bright light are a great combination. But I have to be honest. Lately I wake up and get the big kids out the door, and do my workout later. Today it was like 10am before I mustered enough energy to make myself exercise. It sounds like a paradox, but I feel better when I'm done.
Amber was watching Daniel Tiger. When it ended, she came downstairs and joined me. Her exact words as she started doing some push-ups, "You be the baby and I be the mommy." Yes please.
Some more ideas to make your own sunshine:
2. Do something you love.
3. Talk to your friends. Girls's night out is great, but it's also kind of awesome to just call a friend on the phone, or stop by and talk to a neighbor.
4. Go skiing. It's usually sunny up at the resorts.
5. Plan a warm vacation. Every winter I love to go somewhere warm. A few weeks ago Norm took me to Dallas and we had a great time. We saw some friends and it was a change of scenery.
6. Send a note in the mail. Write a letter and decorate it with stickers.
7. Eat more fat and less sugar. ie more avocados and less Oreos. My brain is happier when I follow this formula. I can't explain it, but it's real.
8. Citrus oils. I love the smell of lemon and lime. Lately I've had grapefruit oil in a diffuser. It smells so bright and happy.
9. Don't forget faith. Psalms 27:1 The Lord is my light...